With the wet, warm weather you may be experiencing an increase of mold or mildew along window seals, in cabinets or even in your closets. Mold and mildew in your house can cause some people to have allergic reactions. Mold is easy to treat, and easy to prevent.
Here are a few ways to do both!
How do I fix a mold problem?
In this order…
- Find the source of the moisture and fix it
- Dry the area out
- Discard damaged materials
- Clean what you can
Prevent water from entering your home through leaks in roofing systems, rain water from entering the home due to poor drainage, and check your interior plumbing for any leaking. If you don’t find the source of water (even small sources like window condensation) you will have to do everything all over again.
When cleaning a solution of 1/4 to 1/2 cup bleach to a gallon of water is sufficient for killing mold spores. More is not better – it’s toxic!! Once the area is scrubbed, let it dry out completely as quickly as possible. Using a fan is always a good idea for drying out an effected area.
For more information check out this Fact Sheet: