Avoid the “Invisible Killer”

Breathe carbon-detectoreasy this winter and avoid carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

CO is called the “Invisible Killer” because it’s a colorless, odorless, and poisonous gas. According to the U.S. Fire Administration (USFA), more than 150 people in the United States die every year from accidental nonfire-related CO poisoning associated with consumer products, including generators. Other products include faulty, improperly-used or incorrectly-vented fuel-burning appliances such as furnaces, stoves, water heaters, and fireplaces.

Protect your family from CO poisoning with these USFA tips:

  • Install and maintain CO alarms in a central location outside each separate sleeping area and on every level of your home to provide early warning of CO.
  • Use portable generators outdoors in well-ventilated areas away from all doors, windows, and vents.
  • Make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove, and fireplace are clear of snow and other debris.

Learn the symptoms of CO poisoning and other CO safety information on the USFA Carbon Monoxide Safety page.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s