We’ve all seen a strange warning label on products; like “do not use iron on clothing you are currently wearing” or “do not fold with child inside” on a pack and play. Products are labeled for a reason! Most likely because people tend to do things without thinking them through . But, reading a label helps you be a safe and informed consume whether it is with your food, a household product or in the case we will talk about today – pesticide.
Recently I saw a news story out of Texas where several family members died as a result to pesticide exposure. My first though was how did this family get such a toxic product in the first place since it was clearly a restricted pesticide. After a quick internet search, the information clearly stated how the product worked and safety precautions, which included a danger warning for exposure. This is an extreme case, however according to the World Health Organization, “Pesticides are known to cause millions of acute poisoning cases per year, of which at least one million require hospitalization.”
Since we are experiencing strange weather patterns, and winter is the “height” of head lice season the use of household pesticides is fairly high right now.
Here are a few tips to ALWAYS keep in mind when using chemicals in your house.
- READ THE LABEL!
- FOLLOW THE LABEL! – More is not better or more effective, it is toxic!
- Use in a ventilated area and in spaces where children and animals will not come in contact.
Use non-toxic methods and/or Integrated Pest Management (IPM) for best results.
- Keep food in airtight containers.
- Seal up cracks and seams around plumbing, doors and windows.
- Clean up clutter, piles and stacks where pests can hide.
- Use traps and/or glue boards.
NEVER use a product that is not labeled for use on hair or skin to treat head or body lice. Do not put a pesticide in or around a mattress to treat for bed bugs. These can cause severe skin irritation and pesticide exposure.